Environment

Clean drinking water is a human right

Water is the source of all life. 97% of the earth’s water is salt water and the remaining 3% is freshwater, but only 0.03% is available as drinking water. Industrial growth and pollution contaminate water, thereby substantially decreasing the amount of fresh water available. This coupled with a growing population is causing substantial shortages of clean drinking water across the globe. At the same time the world population continues to grow; water consumption is six times higher today than 50 years ago. Water is the single most important limited resource for the survival of the human race. Little action has been taken for far too long. Many nations have now reached a critical point requiring immediate and forward-thinking solutions to avert crisis and to prepare for their future physical and economical health. We all have a common responsibility to take care of our most important resource WATER and see to it that all human beings have the same right to drink clean and healthy drinking water. Our responsibility is also to protect the environment we live in, making sure that our drinking water is produced in the most environmentally friendly way - without harmful chemicals.

  • More than 1 billion people lack access to safe drinking water.
  • There are 900 million water related sicknesses per year – half of the world's hospital beds are filled with people suffering from a water related diseases (World Health Organization).
  • Every year two million children die – or one every 15 seconds – as a result of contaminated water (World Health Organization).
  • Growth in water consumption is 50% higher than population growth.